Ledyard Senior Center
In 2012 the Ledyard Historical Society hosted a forum for former students of the one-room schools and many fond memories were shared. Those stories have been archived in a video recording of the evening, but interest has remained strong. School classes have a tradition of reunions, so in response to popular demand a reunion of one-room school graduates, their families, friends and all interested people has been planned. The event is co-sponsored by the Ledyard Senior Center, the Ledyard Historical Society and the Friends of Ledyard Libraries.
Until 1949, elementary education in Ledyard comprised 14 schools in 15 districts. Students walked to a neighborhood school overseen by elected School Societies, which hired the teachers and saw to the upkeep of the schools. Parents were required to pay for textbooks and supply wood to heat the schools. School visitors oversaw the instruction and reported annually, their findings published in the town reports. In 1910, a School Committee was formed, the first town-wide organization of education, and eventually evolved into today’s Board of Education.
Photos and brief descriptions of many of the schoolhouses will also be featured in the library’s Storywalk along with a display of memorabilia in Bill Library’s display case during the month of April. The Storywalk begins at the Bill Library and follows 15 signposts along the sidewalk and into the fairgrounds.
Need a ride? Call Kimlyn Marshall, Program Director at the Senior Center, 860-464-0471, weekdays between 8:30 AM and 2:30 PM.